Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Caravan site licence

Land owners must not allow their land to be used as a caravan site unless it holds a valid site licence other than for certain exemptions such as:

  • incidental use within the boundary of a dwelling house
  • sites approved by certain organisations such as the Caravan Club, building and engineering sites
  • travelling showpeople sites
  • sites occupied by the local authority

A caravan site can include tents and on touring sites the licence normally allows a small tent alongside a caravan to be counted as a single unit.

Caravan sites need a licence issued by us to make sure there is proper drainage, a clean drinking water supply and fire precautions are in place.

How to apply

You can download the Caravan site licence application and send it to Environmental Services.

A licence can only be issued if the site has planning consent. An established use certificate does entitle you to a licence. The consent may limit use to particular types of caravans, for example motor homes, where access to the site may be difficult. In these cases the licence should contain the same restrictions.

How the application is dealt with

The licence remains in force without a time limit, however, a time limit may be applied as a condition of the planning consent.

The licence will stop when the planning consent expires. The licence conditions may be subject to alteration at any time during the term of the licence.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted so you will not get tacit consent. If you haven't heard from us within 28 days contact Environmental Services and we will let you know about your application's progress.

Can anyone object?

No, although anyone can object to the planning permission.

How much does it cost?

It's free.