Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Petroleum storage certificate

Domestic and non-workplace storage

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic and there are laws which need to be followed if you transport and/or store it.

For the purposes of these laws, the fuel in your vehicle fuel tank, is not included in any calculations.

Petrol can only be transported in securely closed containers designed for the purpose and marked 'Petroleum' and 'Highly Flammable'. They must be firmly secured in the back of your vehicle when being transported.

If you need to fill your vehicle's fuel tank from a container make sure you only do it in the open air and never in an enclosed space.

Do not keep petrol in the house. Store petrol containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Make sure the storage area is well ventilated and containers are kept well away from naked flames or live electrical equipment.

Check the containers regularly for leaks and if you do smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area as fully as possible and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion.

The regulations have provision for licensing domestic and non-workplace petrol storage where it is kept for private use only.

A person may keep up to 30 litres of petrol in suitable portable containers or in a single demountable fuel tank in a suitable storage place without making any special provisions.

A person keeping over 30 litres and less than 275 litres must notify the local authority, to which you pay your council tax, in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014.

A person keeping in excess of 275 litres will require a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC). Once issued the certificate remains in place until such time as the site ceases to dispense Petroleum Spirit for a period of more than 12 months, or the site undertakes a material change.

PSC’s are issued to the site and not an individual. Anyone applying must supply the details of the person or persons keeping the Petroleum Spirit. Annual fees are applicable.

For further details and all other petrol related enquiries please contact the Petroleum Officer at Consumer and Trading Standards.

Related content

  1. Petroleum storage certificate
  2. Domestic and non-workplace storage