Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Demolition work

Before you demolish all or part of a structure, you will nearly always need a warrant to demolish. You may also need planning permission.

How to apply

Submit a building warrant application form online using eBuilding Standards Scotland.

Once you have a warrant to demolish it is valid for three years. However, we will give you a specific time period for starting and completing the work. This is to prevent a building being partly demolished and then left for a long time.

When the demolition is completed you will need to send us a certificate of completion. See Building warrants and regulations

What other permissions are needed

You may need planning permission for the proposed method of demolition and restoration of the site.

Apply online: ePlanning Scotland - this lets you pay online too.

On paper using:

If utility services such as roads, water, gas or electricity are going to be affected you may need other permissions. 

For information on the permissions you will need and who to contact, get in touch with your local Planning and Building Standards office.


When a building needs to be pulled down immediately:

  • because it has been classified by a building standards surveyor as dangerous
  • if the building is in a designated Housing Action Area for Demolition

If the building is exempt as it was built under:

  • the Explosives Acts 1895 and 1923a
  • Nuclear Installations Act 1965b

If the building is covered by the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979:

  • you will need scheduled monument consent

For further information

Please contact our Planning and Building Standards office.