The Caledonian System is an approach to addressing men's domestic abuse and improving the lives of women, children and men.
The Caledonian Men's Programme aims to help men address behaviours that lead to domestic abuse offending. As part of the programme, men will:
- be asked to complete some preparation sessions before joining the groupwork part of the programme
- be shown how to make links between their thoughts, feelings and behaviour - the first step in making a positive change
- work in a group with other men to learn more about how to change their damaging behaviour
- be expected to respect their fellow group members
- be expected to take responsibility for their abusive behaviour and not blame their ex-partner
- attend monthly sessions either individually or in a group to maintain the changes they have made
The Caledonian Women's Service will offer:
- advice and practical and emotional support
- help with safety planning, in relation to the risk posed to the woman and her family, by her (ex) partner
- advocate on their behalf, where required
- help to access other services to support the woman and her children and work with them to keep their children safe
- answer any questions about the men's programme
The Caledonian Children's and Young Person's Service is offered to children and young people who are living or have lived with men who are attending the Caledonian Men's Programme. It aims to:
- assess children's needs
- hear children's views
- act to meet those needs
Men's abuse towards their partners is treated seriously in all Courts across South Lanarkshire and Scotland. We believe that men can change their abusive behaviour and this programme is an opportunity for them to make positive changes to the way they lead their lives. Men who have completed these types of programmes report that they now lead healthier and less abusive relationships.
The Caledonian Systems Delivery Team is a multi-disciplinary service located at Regent House, 9 High Patrick Street, Hamilton and can be contacted on 01698 894152.