Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Care costs and benefits advice for people moving to care homes

Care homes are registered with the Care Inspectorate to provide different kinds of care:

  • Care homes that provide personal care offer help with washing, dressing and giving medication.
  • Care homes that provide nursing care have at least one qualified nurse on duty 24 hours a day to carry out nursing tasks. Personal care is provided too.
  • Some care homes are registered for a specific care need, like dementia.
  • Residential care homes provide health support from members of a visiting healthcare team – like a GP, community nurse or physiotherapist.

If you want to move into a care home you may need financial help now or in the future, you should arrange for a financial assessment to be undertaken.  

Care home fees can be complicated from agreed rates within the National Care Home Contract of £948.59 (Nursing) and £825.94 (Residential) effective from 8th April 2024.

Some care home charges are higher than those agreed as part of the National Care Home Contract.

Council Residential Care Homes fees for self-funders only is £1469.73 per week effective from 9th April 2024.

Free Personal and Nursing Care (FPNC) was introduced by the Scottish Government in 2002 to people aged 65 and over. In April 2019, Frank’s law extended the provision of FPNC payments to all adults.  From 1st April 2024 Free Personal Care payment is £248.70 and Free Nursing Care rate is £111.90. (FPNC £360.60)

Payments for personal and nursing care are only part of the care home fees. You’ll still have to contribute towards your accommodation and living costs.

There are Lower Capital Limit set at £21,500 and upper Capital Limit of £35,000.

There is a personal expensed allowance (PEA) set at £34.50 per week.

If a care home is the best option for you, there are a number of important considerations that must be taken into account including the level of care you require (nursing or residential) and the financial implications of each.

If you choose a care home that costs more , you must pay the difference – so check the rates and any additional charges before making your final decision.  Even if you pay for your stay yourself, an assessment will help work out what you qualify for and if you are likely to need financial help in the future.

You can request a copy of our financial assessment form, complete it and return it to your local social work office.

A benefits check can also be undertaken by the councils Money Matters Advice Service in order to ensure that finances are being maximised. 

Further information can also be found on Care Information Scotland website.