You should check the following before you report a vehicle as abandoned:
- are any of the tyres flat or have any of the wheels been removed
- is there litter or a lot of leaves under the vehicle - this may mean that it hasn't moved for a while
- is the windscreen or any of the windows broken
- does the vehicle have number plates
- does the vehicle contain rubbish such as tyres or old newspapers
- have any parts, like the bumper, seats or radio, been removed or damaged
When you report an abandoned vehicle we will ask you for the following:
- the registration number, colour, make and model
- where the vehicle is - please be as specific as possible and include the street and town
- the condition of the vehicle
We check with the police to find out who owns the car and whether it's been stolen or involved in a crime. This can take some time, although the vehicle will be removed if it's in a dangerous condition or blocking the road/driveways. Please note that only the police have the power to immediately tow any vehicle left in a position causing a danger or obstruction.
Cars which have been abandoned are taken to a vehicle pound. There is a charge for the return of a vehicle.