How we spend your Council Tax
The council provides a wide range of services. Most of our funding comes from central government.
In a typical year, we will spend our budget on:
- teaching nearly 25,000 primary pupils in our new schools
- teaching 18,500 secondary school pupils in new school buildings
- providing around 7,000 Early Learning and childcare places
- caring for nearly 3,500 older people at home
- looking after 1,800 older people in care homes
- collecting waste from 148,000 households every week
- maintaining 2295km (1426 miles) of roads
Council Tax is not spent on maintaining council homes, which are funded entirely by tenant rents.