Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Our online rent service

is currently under maintenance, apologies for any inconvenience

Invasive, non native species

Invasive, non-native species (INNS) are plant and animal species that have been brought to Scotland by people and are now causing a problem. They can be very damaging to our natural spaces; they can displace native species, interfere with rivers and streams, damage buildings and infrastructure and risk human health. They are also very hard to get rid of.

To find out more about invasive species and what you can do to help stop their spread, visit the non-native species secretariat website. You can search for plants and animals by name and view distribution maps. If you would like help with identifying a potential INNS, check the website above. If in doubt, you can contact us: please provide photos of the leaves and stems of plants and include a reference for scale.

If you notice INNS in gardens or fields, you might want to let the landowner know. There is no legal requirement for a landowner to eradicate or control these species on their land other than to prevent spread into the wild and onto property owned by others. Further advice on Japanese knotweed, how to control various species and legal responsibilities can be found on the NatureScot website.

If you have seen an INNS, you can report your sighting to the appropriate organisation:

If you think that INNS are on land owned by the council, you can find out how we will deal with this by reading our position statement. To report a species growing on council land, please send a photograph showing plant leaves and stems, along with a specific location (look up a grid reference or use What Three Words).

We do not hold records on private landowners. You can search the Land Register for more information. There might be a cost to find out private landowner information.

How to report

For more information on invasive species and how to report your sightings please use our Waste and grounds services enquiry form.

Related content

  1. Invasive, non native species
  2. Position statement

Countryside and Greenspace Service

Email: Countryside and Greenspace Service