South Lanarkshire rent deposit guarantee scheme
If you are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, our rent deposit scheme helps you rent from a private landlord. Landlords often ask for a cash deposit before they agree to let but the rent deposit scheme gives a written guarantee of a responsibility instead.
The guarantee covers:
- damage to the property, furnishings or anything listed on the inventory beyond normal wear and tear
It doesn't cover:
- fair wear and tear
- rent in advance
- unpaid gas/electricity bills
- service or utilities charges such as heating or stair lighting
- rent due if the tenant leaves the property without giving notice
To qualify you must be:
- have approached South Lanarkshire Council for housing options and advice and are considered to be a risk of homelessness or have made a formal application to South Lanarkshire Council and have been assessed as homeless
- be able to afford the rent (taking into account any entitlement to local housing allowance)
- unable to find the cash for a deposit
- have a local connection to South Lanarkshire
- commit to a saving s plan in order to save the deposit over an agreed period (usually 6-12 months)
Applying to the scheme
The scheme only accepts referrals made by a housing officer from South Lanarkshire Council. Make a housing options appointment with your local housing office to discuss being referred.
The scheme could find a property for you but if you find your own property, the Scheme will contact the landlord to ask if they'll accept the guarantee.
Local housing office
Our offices are closed until further notice. If you need to contact us the best way to do this is by email or phone. Please note our phone lines don't open until 11am on a Wednesday.Phone: 0303 123 1012