Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Road opening permits

You will need to get a permit if you want excavation works to be carried out in a footpath, verge or carriageway (road).

An example of this is making a connection to a water supply or drain located in the road.

How to apply

Please fill out a road opening permit form and return it to any roads office.

Permits will only be issued to Road Authorities and Utilities Committee approved contractors holding public liability insurance and a Scottish Environment Protection Agency certificate for the disposal of waste materials.

How the application is dealt with

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted so tacit consent will not be given.

If you haven't heard from us within 28 days contact Enterprise Resources and we'll let you know about your application's progress.

Can anyone object?


How much does it cost?

£267.80 for first 7-day period and after that it is £104 per 7-day period.