Registering a death

Tell us once

The Tell Us Once service means that one of the council's registrars can help bereaved families through a step-by-step process that will automatically notify central and local government of a change in circumstances. 

It will help if you have with you the following information, where relevant about the person who has died when you use the service:

  • if you have it, their National Insurance number
  • details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • their driving licence or driving licence number
  • their passport or passport number and town/country of birth
  • details of blue badge
  • dates of any recent stays in hospital, a hospice or care home.

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • their next of kin
  • a surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • the person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the permission of the people listed above if you are going to provide information about them.

Next of Kin

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage/civil partnership to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and/or date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service as long as you have their permission to provide information about them and act on their behalf.