How to make a planning application
If you want to carry out building work or change the use of a building or land, please contact us to discuss your proposal. We can tell you if you need to make a planning application and if your proposal is likely to be allowed.
You may then want to apply for full planning permission, permission in principle or a certificate of lawfulness.
How to apply
We encourage you to submit your planning application online using ePlanning Scotland - this lets you pay online too. This includes submitting applications for planning permission, advertisement consent, listed building consent and other planning related permissions.
The advantages of submitting an application via ePlanning Scotland are:
- you will save time, money and paper
- there is step-by-step guidance and information on how to submit your application
- you can save your work and break away at any time. When you return to the application your previous entries will be waiting for you
- you can upload one set of electronic drawings and supporting documents - there is no need to provide multiple paper copies to us
- no printing or postage involved
- you can buy a location plan online
- you can use the 'Fee calculator' to work out the fee for your application
- you can pay online or if you are submitting the application on behalf of someone else, you can ‘share’ the application with them and allow them to pay the fee online
- as the application comes directly to us, we receive it faster and begin to check it earlier
- applications are quicker and easier to validate because it ensures that all the information needed for the application is complete, is in the correct format and meets our application requirements
- it reduces your carbon footprint
Paper application and forms
Or make an application on paper using:
- planning application forms and guidance notes, including advertisement consent, listed building consent and other planning related permissions
- you should include two copies of plans for householder applications and four copies for non-householder applications
- If you want to make a hazardous substances consent application, please use these forms: hazardous substances consent and related forms
- send completed forms to Planning and Building Standards office
Non-material variations to existing planning permissions cannot be made via the ePlanning Scotland website. Please use the application to vary planning permission form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. From Sunday 1 May 2022, a new fee of £200 will apply to applications for non-material variations.
Our Guide to submitting a householder planning application explains in detail how to submit an application to us, including the plans and information that you will need to provide.
How much will it cost?
there is a fee calculator on ePlanning Scotland
New planning fees from 1 April 2022 - Scale of fees from 1 April 2022
Payments can be made via our online payment service
Copies of plans and decision notices
Plans and decision notices for planning applications since June 2009 can be viewed online using the planning application portal.
If you want a copy of plans or a decision notice from before this time, please send a request to us with the appropriate fee using the Planning document/plan search request form.