BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Flooding advice and support

If you have any concerns about flooding, contact us on 0800 24 20 24 at any time or any roads office during office hours.

If you live in an area prone to flooding you can sign up to the Scottish Environment Protection Agency's free Floodline alert system. 

Flood response

Flood scouts regularly monitor known flood risk areas when rainfall, and clear anything that might block culverts.

Who is responsible for what?

  • road repairs - we repair any road we have responsibility for that has been damaged by floods, landslips or mining subsidence
  • flood warnings - the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) issues these and works with police and councils to identify flood risks
  • drainage and sewage - Scottish Water is responsible for the drainage of surface water from roofs and paved ground surfaces within a property boundary. Scottish Water can help to protect properties from flooding caused by overflowing or blocked sewers
  • flood protection - landowners are responsible for this and insurance of their land and property
  • flood risk management - as a planning authority we have taken steps to reduce the risk of flooding of non-agricultural land. We also promote flood protection schemes, assess and maintain watercourses
  • rubbish dumped in rivers and burns can make flooding worse - you can report fly-tipping online

Report a flooding issue

To report a flooding issue, please see information on Road and lighting faults.

What happens after severe flooding?

If there is severe flooding we work with the police and fire and rescue services. Afterwards we will co-ordinate reception centres for people evacuated from their homes and arrange temporary accommodation if needed.

In Scotland, a number of other agencies are involved in flood risk management and dealing with floods when they happen. The Scottish Government sets policies at national level.

There is also the Scottish Flood Forum. This community-based organisation supports and represents those affected by or at risk of flooding.

Health and safety advice

If your house starts to flood switch your electricity off at the fuse box and your water supply off at the mains.

Flood water can be contaminated. Don't allow pets or children to drink or play in flood water. Always wash your hands if you come into contact with it.

You may also want to look at the Flooding section of the West of Scotland Community Risk Register

For more information contact Community and Enterprise Resources.


Sandbags are normally available during a flood event by phoning 0800 242024, where the request will be reviewed and actioned.

Where available, squads may deliver sandbags to assist at-risk properties. However, if we are experiencing widespread issues across the South Lanarkshire area, we may not be able to attend to every location reported.

We do not normally provide sandbags in advance of a heavy rainfall event. If householders want to protect their property from flooding, sandbags or other protection measures are available from most builder’s merchants and DIY stores.

If you are issued with sandbags or buy your own you should be aware of what to do with them once the flooding has subsided.

If they are unused they can be:

  • stored in a dry, shady place to use again
  • emptied and the sack disposed of, and the sand dug into garden or stored for reuse
  • taken to your local civic amenity site.

If they have been soiled they tend to contain contaminants from the flood water. When handling them you should always wear gloves. They can be taken to your local civic amenity site and you should tell staff what the possible contaminants are so that they can be dealt with properly.

Related content

  1. Flooding advice and support
  2. Flood Risk Management Plans