Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Noise complaints

Noise from neighbours

No house or flat is totally sound proof and everyone can expect a degree of noise from neighbours. If you have been disturbed by noise from neighbours there could be a number of reasons. These could include the neighbours behaving unreasonably, for example, by playing loud music late at night and Environmental Services are authorised to investigate these types of complaints. Measurements can be taken and the person responsible for the noise will be contacted and issued with a Warning Notice, which requires that they reduce their level of noise immediately.

There are a range of enforcement options available including informal discussion, allegation letters, seizing equipment, warrants, Fixed Penalty Fines and Report to the Procurator Fiscal for criminal charges.

Where the complaint relates to neighbour noise, we may refer you to our mediation service. If necessary we will liaise with Housing and Technical Resources or the housing association where tenants are affected. The Anti-Social Behaviour Unit may be involved if required.

Ongoing noise can be reported during normal office hours by calling 0303 123 1015 Monday to Thursday between 8.45am to 4.45pm and Friday between 8.45am to 4.15pm.

If you are experiencing Anti-Social Behaviour Domestic Noise out with these times, there is an Out of Hours Service operated by Environmental Services who can be contacted 7 days a week from 4.30pm to 3.00am via the council’s Emergency Out of Hours Service on 0800 24 20 24.

If your concern is more to do with Anti-Social Behaviour within a neighbouring property and the noise you are experiencing is a direct consequence of this, for instance swearing, shouting, door slamming, Housing Services can be contacted for their Antisocial Investigation Team to pursue. This team often work in partnership with Environmental Services to try to seek a suitable remedy. This may involve mediation or if the property is Council owned then through Tenancy Interventions. If you are concerned for the safety of neighbouring residents or consider illegal activities are occurring this should be passed to the Police.

Further information on Noise from fireworks is available at Fireworks legislation page