Council Tax exemptions, discounts and increases - unoccupied properties
Unoccupied property information
If a property is unoccupied - normally no one lives in it - there are exemptions and discounts of 10%, 50% or 100% available depending on why it is empty.
From 1 April 2019 properties that have been continuously unoccupied for 12 months or more may be subject to an empty property surcharge (200% Council Tax charge).
For more details, click on the category in the related content which best describes the reason for the property being empty.
- Unoccupied property information
- Unoccupied property
- Care worker, long term hospital, long term care
- Property undergoing major repair/awaiting demolition/occupation prohibited by law
- In prison
- When a person has died
- Property has been repossessed
- Owned by a full time student
- Advice and information for owners of long term empty properties
- Other categories