Council Housing Allocation Policy
The Council's Housing Allocation Policy aims to:
- prioritise those with the most need
- respond to local needs
- make best use of the available housing
- achieve and maintain stable communities
- have a clear and fair process that complies with the law
Who makes up the waiting list?
There are currently around 16,000 applicants on the HomeFinder housing register. This is made up of applicants with a range of housing needs, including:
- statutorily homeless
- living with friends or family
- private sector tenants
Over the last year the statutorily homelessness applications made to the Council has reduced from around 3,000 to around 2,000.
The Allocation Policy is supported by eight Local Letting Plans which make sure we can respond to local housing needs and circumstances.
If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness further information and advice is available on our Homelessness pages.