Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Our online rent services (myaccount)

will be unavailable from Friday 2 February until Friday 23 February for essential maintenance

Adaptations, equipment and occupational therapy

The timely provision of equipment and adaptations can be an important aspect to help us all to live safe and independent lives at home or in a homely setting. This applies whether we are disabled by the barriers that exists in our homes and community environments or whether we are experiencing the effects of specific health conditions or through general ageing.   

We all have a role to play in realising what would help us now and in the future and are encouraged and expected to self-manage our own lower-level and anticipated needs, whenever possible and at the earliest stage by accessing the right advice through the right person at the right time. Whether this is accessing previously published advice, available online resources, having the support of rehabilitation services when needed or requesting an assessment of needs through South Lanarkshire Health and Social Work teams.

South Lanarkshire Council Health and Social Care staff remain committed to prioritising our resources towards and doing our best to protect the most vulnerable and at-risk in our communities alongside enabling independent living wherever appropriate. At present this prioritisation will include only those who have an immediate or imminent need for the direct provision of equipment and adaptations to address substantial and critical risks and needs.

This means that you may be provided with relevant information and signposting material to other available supports, that may allow you to secure alternative provision by self-managing any other level of risk and need. Please read our information pages for further details before continuing to requesting an equipment and adaptation assessment.

You can also complete your own self-assessment to get personalised advice by using our free AskSara online tool, this has been developed in partnership with Equipu and the Disabled Living Foundation. This assessment will provide you with some specific recommendations to help you self-manage any initial needs and to source suitable providers.

If you are looking to apply for a mobility or walking aid or a wheelchair assessment, further information is available on our information pages.

If you are looking to make an application for a disabled person's parking bay, further information is available on our disabled person's parking bay page.

Care and Repair in Lanarkshire offer a wide range of practical services and advice that allow elderly and disabled people in the community to live independently. At Care and Repair they aim to repair, improve or adapt your home to allow you to remain safe, secure and independent in your own home.

You may just be looking for information on Community Alarms and Telecare equipment. 

Fire and Smoke Alarms

The law on fire alarms changed, meaning all Scottish homes are required to have interlinked alarms since February 2022. Interlinked means if one goes off, they all go off, and it is the property owner’s responsibility for meeting the new standard.

Guidance and further information can be found on the Scottish Fire and Rescue website and the Scottish Government website.

For film clips, with BSL (British Sign Language) and subtitles (captions), please see links below:

Scottish Government new Fire Alarms Standards advert, includes voice-over

Scottish Government Fire Alarms leaflet

It is essential that you read our information pages  and the signposting and support information before continuing to request an assessment. This will prevent you having avoidable delay in any of your needs being met, by including self-management and signposting advice to meet any lower-level or basic needs. If you feel that your needs may require immediate or imminent support by our occupational therapy and sensory support staff however, please complete our online self-referral form below. This will be screened by an experienced member of our team with further advice then being provided to you.

If you want more details on any of the above information you can contact your local social work office. This can be found using our postcode lookup.

Related content

  1. Adaptations, equipment and occupational therapy
  2. Where can I get more information?
  3. Signposting and support information