Crisis and community care grants

Crisis grants

Crisis grants can provide a safety net in the event of a disaster or emergency.

If you are facing household difficulties or a crisis, you may be eligible for a grant. A grant could help if you are facing a crisis at home such as a fire or flood, or an emergency situation such as having to visit a sick child in hospital and you do not have the money for transport.

If you qualify for a crisis grant, you may be given a cash grant or another form of support such as travel vouchers, furniture, or a voucher for essential food, fuel or clothing.

To find out if you are eligible to apply for a crisis grant, or to apply, please phone the Scottish Welfare Fund Team using the contact details shown. Advisors applying on behalf of a client or those who find it difficult to use the phone can apply online.

If you have made an application for Universal Credit you should apply for a short-term benefit advance from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). This must be done within 21 days of your Universal Credit claim date.

You can also download and print off a form, fill it in and send it to us at the address shown on this page.

For more information see the Scottish Government website.

Information sharing

We will share information with other organisations, including the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Social Work Resources when considering your claim.

Scottish Welfare Fund


PO Box 3594,
G73 9EG
Phone: 0303 123 1007
Email: Scottish Welfare Fund