Click to listen

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) replaces the following benefits and tax credits with one single monthly payment:

  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

How to claim

  • You can only apply for UC at If you do not have internet access at home, your local Job Centre Plus will be able to help you make your claim. You can also visit your local library or community hub to get online.
  • Make sure you have your own email address – this is essential before you apply online.
  • Include details of your rent when you claim so that your housing costs are included.
  • UC can only be paid directly into a bank, building society or credit union account.
  • UC will be paid monthly in arrears. Payments will not be backdated to take into account any delays in you making your claim.
  • Support and advice is available. If you have difficulties in managing your UC claim get in touch with the Benefits are Changing Team.
  • If you need help to become more confident online the Community Learning and Home School Partnership offer support.

Paying your rent

  • You need to pay your rent yourself. South Lanarkshire Council will no longer receive the housing element of UC directly as payment of your rent.
  • It is your responsibility to make sure your rent is paid on time.
  • To avoid missing your rent payment in future, simply contact your local Housing Team to discuss the best payment options to suit your circumstances.
  • If you are not able to pay your rent, contact your local Housing Team within 3 days to avoid further action.
  • In certain circumstances, we can request a Managed Payment to your landlord for your rent to be paid direct from your UC claim for example arrears outstanding on your rent account or if you are vulnerable.

Does Universal Credit include an amount for Council Tax?

No - we will continue to assess entitlement to Council Tax Reduction if you are on Universal Credit, and it is really important that you apply for Council Tax Reduction as soon as possible after you make your claim for Universal Credit. We will also continue to assess applications for Discretionary Housing Payments.

If you need any advice or help with Council Tax Reduction or Discretionary Housing Payments, please contact our Benefits and Council Tax Call Centre.

Local housing office

Phone: 0303 123 1012