Click to listen

Children and young people with additional support needs

What types of services may be available

Staff in your local social work office can provide advice, information and counselling. A range of family support is available including:

  • Home Care - help in the home with personal care, cleaning and cooking or with other practical tasks where support is needed with caring for children
  • Occupational therapy staff will assess the need for equipment to aid daily living routines or manage posture, as well as adaptations to remove the barriers in accessing the amenities within the home environment. There can also be advice on specific moving and handling needs as well as specialist support at home for children and their families affected by Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
  • Shared care is family based respite care for children with additional support needs who normally live with their own families. Shared carers take children into their home at weekends and during holiday periods. Length of stay and frequency of visits are flexible and arranged to suit both the family and the shared carer.
  • Community based respite - Social Work Resources provide and purchase services to enable children with additional support needs to be supported in their own home and/or participate in social and recreational activities from which they would otherwise be excluded. Children who do not currently have access to existing services are able to access this service based on an assessment of need.
  • Respite care can provide a programme of short periods of residential care. A short stay package of care or short break is developed offering a programme of activities to suit the needs of the child, some of this will take place in the unit and some in the local community.
  • Welfare benefits information - we provide free and confidential information advice and representation on all aspects of benefit entitlement and debt problems through the local Money Matters Advice Service based at the Q and A offices.
  • Sensory Impairment Specialist Staff are available to offer specific advice, information and assessment when a child has a visual, hearing or dual sensory loss. They may be able to recommend specific equipment, assist with re-training on independent living skills or assist in providing access to interpreting services, if there are major communication issues.
  • Families and young people who want to find out about services available to them can make contact through their local social work office. Social Work staff who do assessments will gather information about your current circumstances, needs and wishes, and with your permission, speak to other organisations or staff who have contact with your family. They will prepare a 'care plan' identifying the needs, support or services which may help. This 'care plan' will be reviewed on a regular basis by the local office staff.

Related content

  1. Our responsibilities
  2. What types of services may be available
  3. Young Carers Service
  4. Further information