BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste includes materials such as asbestos, gas bottles and chemicals.


Asbestos is hazardous and extreme care should be taken. If you are able to do so safely you should double-wrap unbroken rigid sheets in plastic sheeting and seal the package with tape. You should take it to the East Kilbride Waste and Recycling Centre and put it in their special skip. This is the only council site licensed for the disposal of asbestos. If it isn't sheet asbestos you should seek advice from a specialist contractor. If you are a Council tenant and require to dispose of asbetos, please contact your local housing office.

Gas bottles

These should be returned to the supplier. Calor Gas uplifts its own bottles free of charge and can be contacted on 0800 662 663. If the manufacturer/supplier is no longer in operation, you should take them to one of our main Waste and recycling centres.


Some electrical and electronic equipment has been classified as hazardous waste. Televisions, monitors and fluorescent tubes can be disposed of in special areas in each of our civic amenity sites or you can order a special uplift.

Please contact us if you want information about disposing of any hazardous items not covered here.

Charges for this service may apply depending on the type/volume of waste.