Archives and records
Before the establishment of South Lanarkshire Council in 1996, the area was served by four district councils:
- East Kilbride
The records of these district councils have been kept and are available for research.
District councils were the lower level of the two tier system of local government established in 1975. The regional council for the South Lanarkshire area was Strathclyde Regional Council. The main responsibilities of the district councils were planning, building control and development, cleansing and environmental health, district courts, housing, leisure, parks, museums, libraries and art galleries, burial and cremation and licensing.
All records are held by us in the South Lanarkshire Archives Records Centre unless otherwise stated.
Clydesdale District Council, which was known as Lanark District Council until 1981, include:
- Council minutes 1974-1966
- Community Council files 1972-1995
East Kilbride District Council include:
- Council minutes 1974-1996
- Provost's Office records 1963-1995
- district court records 1975-1992
- Chief Executive's files 1969-1995
- financial records 1976-1995
- building control records 1975-1990
The records of Glasgow District Council, which incorporated Rutherglen and Cambuslang, are held by Glasgow City Archives.
Hamilton District Council records include:
- Council minutes 1976-1994
- Executive Board minutes 1993-1995
- management meetings minutes 1986-1995
- procedural papers 1988-1993
- Chief Executive's subject files 1974-1994
- annual accounts 1976-1990
During this period other services including education, social work, roads and water were provided by Strathclyde Regional Council. These records are held by Glasgow City Archives.