Council Tax - exemptions, discounts and increases (unoccupied properties)
Advice and information for owners of long term empty properties
There is a range of advice and information available to help owners consider the options available to bring a property back into use.
Selling your property
Citizens Advice Scotland provide a range of information and advice on how to sell your property, including how to obtain a Home Report, Energy Performance certificates and the conveyancing process.
The Scottish Empty Homes Partnership provide a range of information and advice for empty homes owners.
Renting your property
If you are considering renting out your property, information and advice on being a landlord in Scotland is available on the Scottish Government website.
All private landlords renting out residential property in Scotland must be registered in the national Register of Landlords.
Renting Scotland provides practical guides.
The Landlord Accreditation Scotland (LAS) offers training for landlords in the private rented sector. LAS can also assist with information on how to identify an accredited Letting Agent.
The Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL) provides information and advice on the Scottish private rented sector.
Empty homes - serious disrepair
South Lanarkshire Council operates a HomeImprove Service, providing advice and assistance to owners within properties in serious disrepair. Complete the form below for further assistance regarding home improvements.
The council has very limited resources to purchase property for sale on the open market and these are targeted to the purchase of specific property types and locations to meet housing need priorities in South Lanarkshire's Local Housing Strategy.
The scheme is not aimed at individual owners who approach the council to buy back their home. To be considered, a property must:
- be listed for sale on the open market
- fall within one of the priority categories set by the council, and
- be of a size and type that is required to meet identified local housing needs
The scheme is targeted towards the purchase of ex-council stock in areas of high demand.
To discuss your property's eligibility, please email the Development and Private Sector Team at StratSupAdm@southlanarkshire.gov.uk
- Unoccupied property information
- Unoccupied and unfurnished property and second homes
- Care worker, long term hospital, long term care
- Property undergoing major repair/awaiting demolition/occupation prohibited by law
- In prison
- When a person has died
- Property has been repossessed or held by a trustee in bankruptcy
- Owned by a full time student
- Advice and information for owners of long term empty properties
- Empty property surcharge
- Other categories