Paying council rent
Our priority is to ensure that all tenants and their families remain safe and secure in their homes, whilst protecting the welfare and wellbeing of our staff.
We will be contacting tenants who we know may be financially struggling to reassure them and to make sure that they are fully aware of how to get financial assistance.
Welfare Benefits are extremely complex, therefore if you want advice about what and when you should claim and also for debt related advice, please contact Money Matters on 0303 123 1008 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) or by email for Hamilton, East Kilbride, Cambuslang and Rutherglen, Larkhall and Lanark
The best way to pay your rent is setting up a Direct Debit over the phone or online, or using the 24 hour payment phone line which you do safely from your home.
We want to reassure all tenants of our approach to rent, and that your tenancy is not at any risk due to financial hardship as a result of COVID-19.
If you find yourself struggling financially because you are self-isolating, you are affected by Covid-19, or your income has reduced, please let us know immediately by contacting your local housing office by email. You can also phone 0303 123 1012 between 9am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.
The average weekly rent in South Lanarkshire for 2019/20 is £70.07
Your rent helps us to deliver many vital services so it is important we get your payment on time. As a Council tenant it is your responsibility to make sure your rent is paid on time. If you are unsure when your rent is due please refer to our fortnightly rent cycles page.
You can now check your Rent account balance online using myaccount.
If you become a new tenant with South Lanarkshire Council you will be required to pay a fortnight's rent in advance at your sign up. If you qualify for housing benefit this will be taken into account.
Ways to pay rent
- Direct Debit is the simplest and our recommended option.
- fortnightly payments - these are taken directly from your bank the Thursday before the payment is due. For example, the rent for dates 21 March to 3 April, would be taken from your bank on 2 April. This would be every fortnight and is not able to be changed to any other dates.
- monthly payments - you choose which date you would prefer - 1st, 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th
Our new online form makes it very easy to arrange your Direct Debit. There’s no paperwork, no posting, no going to the bank. It’s all done very quickly. Try it!
Other ways to pay
Please note: we can't accept payments by American Express or Electron.
- Pay rent online - you can use our secure online payment service. Payment will require your: account reference number and credit or debit card details
- Phone - payments can be made by credit or debit card over the phone. Contact our 24-hour payments call centre. You will need your ten digit cashier number from your notification letter or payment card
- Online banking - payments and standing orders can be made direct to the council's bank account. Sort Code 83-22-26, account number 00146604. Please quote your account reference number
Please note: We do not offer discounted payment terms through third party companies and payments should always be made to the council direct.
24 hour payment call centrePhone: 0303 123 1005
PO Box 20323,
Local housing office
Our offices are closed until further notice. Phone lines are open 9am-12pmPhone: 0303 123 1012