Click to listen

Adaptations, equipment and occupational therapy

If you are disabled, have a long term medical condition or you are finding things are getting more difficult as you get older, occupational therapy and sensory impairment services can help you to live your life the way you want to.

For example:

  • getting in and out of the bath
  • managing the steps in your home
  • have difficulty in turning taps
  • find it awkward to stand up or sit down to use the toilet

The occupational therapist (OT) or occupational therapy assistant will visit you to discuss what you need and will complete a full assessment with you.

They can work with you to assist you to become more independent in the areas that are important to you. This can be by teaching you alternative ways of managing activities or by helping you access other services that can support you to achieve your goals.

They may also suggest equipment or temporary adaptations for your home, such as a stair lift. If available, we will arrange for these to be fitted and loaned to you free of charge. If you are assessed as needing a permanent home adaptation, for example, a shower, we will also help you arrange this.

You may just be looking for information on Community Alarms and Telecare equipment.

The Shopmobility service for disabled people offers the free hire of motorised scooters and wheelchairs for anyone with a mobility problem.

Equipment for daily living

If your assessment indicates a need for some of the following, Social Work Resources can assist you to get equipment such as:

  • Grab rails/handrails
  • Bath seat/shower seat
  • Toilet rail
  • Perching stool
  • Specialist equipment to support people who are deaf or hard of hearing
  • Specialist equipment to support people who are blind or partially sighted

The service is currently free of charge however, a charging policy could be implemented in the future.

We are unable to provide much of the equipment because it is easily obtainable from mainstream shops/suppliers:

A range of equipment is also supplied by NHS Lanarkshire.

 If you want more information on any of the above and whether there are costs associated with any equipment please contact your local social work office.

How to apply for an assessment

You can arrange a visit from the occupational therapist by completing the self-referral form or phone Social Work on 0303 123 1008.

If you wish to find out where your local social work office is situated please use our postcode lookup.

Related content

  1. Adaptations, equipment and occupational therapy
  2. Where can I get more information?