South Lanarkshire's Partnership on Gender-Based Violence
South Lanarkshire's Gender-Based Violence Partnership is South Lanarkshire's strategic partnership for tackling Gender-Based Violence. The partnership brings together key universal and specialist agencies working within the field of Gender-Based Violence within South Lanarkshire. Representatives from each agency meet on a quarterly basis.
The partnership aims to:
- Raise awareness of gender-based violence
- Consider service developments to improve good practice and outcomes
- Promote the development of skills and knowledge within the workforce
- Improve partnership working and communication between organisations
You can download a copy of our current Strategy. You can also download a copy of the South Lanarkshire Public Protection Strategy 2017-2018.
Gender-Based Violence is an umbrella term that encompasses a spectrum of abuse experienced mostly by women and perpetrated mainly by men.
This spectrum of abuse includes:
- Physical, sexual and psychological abuse, including domestic abuse and rape
- Sexual harassment and intimidation
- Commercial sexual exploitation, including prostitution, pornography and trafficking
- Harmful Cultural Practices, including 'honour' based violence, forced marriage, female genital mutilation
For the purpose of the Strategy, we have used the Scottish Government's definition of Gender-Based Violence:
"Gender-Based Violence is a function of gender inequality and an abuse of male power and privilege. It takes the form of actions that result in physical, sexual and psychological harm or suffering to women and children, or affront their human dignity, including threats of such acts, coercion or arbitrary deprivation of liberty, whether occurring in public or private life. It is men who predominantly carry out such violence and women who are predominantly the victims of such violence'.
- South Lanarkshire's Partnership on Gender-Based Violence
- More information about domestic abuse
- Services for those affected by domestic abuse
- More information about rape/sexual assault
- More information about harassment and stalking
- More information about harmful cultural practices
- More information about commercial sexual exploitation