Click to listen

School clothing grants and free school meals

School clothing grants

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us there is no need for you to apply online, we will use the information we hold to automatically award free school meals (P4 to S6) and/or school clothing grants (P1 to S6) to eligible families.    

BACS payment

If you have received a letter advising you to provide your bank details for your clothing grant payment, please click on the Clothing grant - BACS payment button below to provide this information.



You will be entitled to a clothing grant to buy a school uniform if you have a child who attends a school in South Lanarkshire and you are in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit (and your earned income is less than £1,190 as assessed by the Department for Work and Pensions in the assessment period immediately preceding your application for a clothing grant)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support allowance (income related)
  • Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction
  • Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit (where your gross annual income is less than £16,105 as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs on your Tax Credit Award Notice TC602)

You will receive a grant for each school age child in the family. However, children returning for 5th or 6th year will have their awards paid from August, once the school has confirmed that they are attending. Clothing grants are not available to nursery school children.

How it is paid

Clothing grants will be paid from the end of June 2019. Applications received after April 2020 will only be considered for free school meals.

Your clothing grant will be paid by cheque for the account year 18/19. For the account year 19/20 this will be paid directly into your bank account by BACS.

If you have received a cheque for your clothing grant payment, you can cash this free of charge at the following banks in South Lanarkshire (you don't need to have a bank account to do this):

  • Royal Bank of Scotland
  • Bank of Scotland
  • Clydesdale Bank

You will need to bring two official forms of identification with you such as your driver’s licence or a recent Tax Credit award letter. You'll also be asked to sign the back of the cheque in front of the bank teller. Please don't separate the cheque from the remittance advice as both need to be intact for the bank to cash the cheque.

How to apply

If you are receiving Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit we will need to see a copy of your Tax Credit Award Notice (TC602) or your Universal Credit decision letter or online journal. You can attach a scan or photograph of this with your online application form, or post a copy to the address shown on the right hand side (or bottom) of this page. 

Please note: copies of notices will not be returned to you. Please do not send in original documents, as these will not be returned to you.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us, do not complete our online application. We will use the information we hold to automatically award a clothing grant to eligible families. If you are on single persons discount, you would still apply for the clothing grant/free school meals using our online form.

Please note: if you are applying under Kinship Care (when a child is looked after by their extended family or close friends if they cannot remain with their parents) then please phone the Clothing Grant Helpline.

Related content

  1. School clothing grants
  2. Free school meals

Clothing grant helpline

Select Option 5 when calling


Finance and Corporate Resources
Systems and Control Team
PO Box 3591
G73 9ED

Phone: 0303 123 1011