Click to listen

Discounts if you are on a low income (Council Tax Reduction)

Second Adult Reduction

Second Adult Reduction is a different kind of Council Tax Reduction for single people who have to pay Council Tax and who have other adults on a low income living in the household.

It can be claimed by anyone who does not have a partner, but only if they do not qualify for the Council Tax single person discount, because they share their home with another person, who:

  • Is aged 18 or older
  • Is on a low income
  • Does not pay them rent

All the evidence we need to support your claim can be submitted electronically, either when you apply or afterwards using our online formWe may ask to see original documents if we need them.