Click to listen

Advertising of cafés on the pavement or street

Pavement or street cafés permit

This applies to placing tables, chairs and other furniture outside a restaurant, café, wine bar or public house for customers to use while consuming food or drink.

How to apply

If you want to put tables and chairs on the pavement or footpath outside your premises you will need:

  • street café approval by completing an occupation of a road form. This should be returned to a local area roads office. You will need to include a sketch plan or drawings showing the proposed location of the road or pavement occupation.

You may also need:

How the application is dealt with

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted so you will not get tacit consent.

If you haven't heard from us within 28 days contact Enterprise Resources and we will let you know about your application's progress.

See also: Food registration

How much does it cost?

A street café permit (occupation of a pavement) is free.

An application for planning permission (change of use) is £401.

Licensing costs £172 (for three years).

Can anyone object?

Objections can't be made to the occupation of a road/ pavement or for food registration, but they can be made to applications for planning permission and liquor licences.

For details see: