Click to listen

Housing Benefit

What is Housing Benefit?

  • Housing Benefit helps pay your rent.
  • You can claim if you rent your property from the council, a housing association or a private landlord.

Do you qualify for Housing Benefit?

  • You will need to have less than £16,000 in savings to qualify unless you are receiving Guarantee Credit, in which case there is no savings limit.
  • The amount of Housing Benefit you will get depends on the amount of rent you have to pay, the amount of money you have coming in, and the amount of people living in your household.
  • To find out if you qualify, you can use the Council's online benefit calculator.

How to make a claim for Housing Benefit

  • The quickest and easiest way to claim is to complete our online application form.
  • Evidence which we require in support of your claim can be submitted electronically, either at the point of submitting your application form or after your application form has been submitted. Please use our online submission of evidence form to upload your supporting evidence for your claim.

Please note, we may ask to see original documents should we require them. For example, we must see original documents as proof of identification. If you are required to provide this proof, you should take your original documents to your local Q and A Office, where they will be photocopied and handed back to you immediately.

Reporting Changes


Related content

  1. Housing Benefit
  2. What can I do if I think my award is wrong?

Council Tax and Benefits Call Centre


Benefits and Revenue Services
PO Box 3591,
G73 9ED
Phone: 0303 123 1011
Email: Council Tax and Benefits Call Centre