Bins - what goes in them
Black/green household waste bin
The following items can be put in your black/green non-recyclable waste bin:
- plastic bags
- food packaging where it has been in direct contact with food
- crisp and sweet wrappers
- drinks cartons, Tetrapak etc
- cooking oil (cooled and sealed in a plastic container)
- paint tins - IF the left over paint is solidified by either adding a paint hardener or sand/soil.
- CDs - these can’t be recycled (and should not be put into any recycling bin) - charity shops should take them.
Gas bottles and canisters CANNOT go into your black/green bin. This waste is incinerated and compressed containers can explode during the treatment process. Please return bottles and canisters to the original supplier or take to one of our six waste and recycling centres.
If you need help to dispose of medical waste please contact our Customer Services Centre on 0303 123 1020.
Only one non-recycling bin per household is permitted. We do not empty additional non-recycling bins or take extra bags beside a bin. If you can't keep it until your next collection, you can take your excess waste to any of our waste and recycling centres.
We recommend you put your house number on your wheelie bins.