e.g. school holidays, council tax, jobs, housing benefit - Advanced

Bins - what goes in them

Black/green household waste bin

The following items can be put in your black/green non-recyclable waste bin:

  • plastic bags
  • food packaging where it has been in direct contact with food
  • crisp and sweet wrappers
  • polystyrene
  • polythene
  • drinks cartons, Tetrapak etc
  • cooking oil (cooled and sealed in a plastic container)
  • paint tins - IF the left over paint is solidified by either adding a paint hardener or sand/soil. If the paint isn't hardened (ie liquid paint) you must take it to one of the following waste and recycling centres: Carluke, Eastfield, East Kilbride and Hamilton/Blantyre
  • CDs - these can’t be recycled (and should not be put into any recycling bin) - there are a small number of CD banks that take them - please check your local recycling points for availability. Charity shops also take them.

Gas bottles and canisters CANNOT go into your black/green bin. This waste is incinerated and compressed containers can explode during the treatment process. Please return bottles and canisters to the original supplier or take to one of our six waste and recycling centres.

If you need help to dispose of medical waste please contact our Customer Services Centre on 0303 123 1020.

Only one non-recycling bin per household is permitted.  We do not empty additional non-recycling bins or take extra bags beside a bin. If you can't keep it until your next collection, you can take your excess waste to any of our waste and recycling centres.

We recommend you put your house number on your wheelie bins.