We recycle all types of paper through our blue bin recycling scheme including:
- junk mail
- telephone directories including the yellow pages
- card packaging
- food and non-food packaging card (NOT drinks cartons which should go in black/green bin)
- envelopes (fully intact including glue and windows)
- office paper
- wrapping paper
- greetings cards and books
- shredded paper (NOT in co-mingled blue bins for flats - should go in black/green bin)
However we can't recycle wallpaper as it can be contaminated by glue and may be vinyl-coated causing problems at the mills. We are also unable to recycle takeaway cups as these are usually wax coated or plastic lined.
Recycling paper saves on the number of virgin trees cut down and uses only 60-70% of the energy needed for primary production. Recycling also prevents paper going to landfill where it would decompose and contribute to methane production and global warming.