Non-domestic rates - money off your bill
Empty property relief
Relief is available to all empty properties and the level of relief depends on the type of property and how long the property has been empty.
Unless you are the property agent, or the empty period is less than 30 days, you will need to supply evidence that the property is empty. Please have this ready to upload before you begin this application.
Exempt categories - 100% relief is available for an unlimited time where:
- the rateable value is less than £1700
- the property is a listed building
- the ratepayer is insolvent and the property is in the control of a trustee, liquidator or administrator
- the ratepayer has died
- notice has been served prohibiting the use of the property
- a compulsory purchase order has been served on the property
- the property is an ancient monument or is subject to a preservation order
- there are no buildings on site
If you apply for exemption under categories 3-8 above, you will need to supply additional evidence to confirm that the property meets the exempt criteria. Please have this ready to upload before you begin this application.
These properties can receive 100% relief for up to six months from the date the property became empty, followed by 10% relief for as long as the property remains empty.
All other properties
These properties can receive 50% relief for up to three months from the date the property became empty, followed by 10% relief for as long as the property remains empty.
This relief must be re-applied for each financial year. To re-apply or to make a new application for empty property relief and submit evidence, please complete the online form below: