BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Do I need planning permission?

Solar panels

You may need planning permission to install solar panels on your house of flat.  

If your property falls into any of these categories, you will need planning permission:

  • when attached to your house or flat, the solar panels will project more than one metre from any outside wall of the house, or any part of the roof or chimney
  • if the solar panels are to be freestanding in your garden and any part of the solar panels will be in front of a wall which forms part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation faces onto a road or if the solar panels will be higher than three metres in height (including if they are positioned on a garage or outbuilding)
  • your house or flat is within a conservation area
  • your house or flat a listed building - You can check if your property is listed on Historic Environment Scotland’s website.

If your property doesn't come into any of the above categories then you do not need to apply for planning permission.

If you need planning permission or listed building consent you can do this on the ePlanning Scotland website. If you live in a council house you should contact your local housing office. As well as planning permission you may need a building warrant.

See also: Definitions - curtilage, principal elevation and road.