BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Do I need planning permission?

Extensions - more than one storey

You may need planning permission to build an extension of more than one storey to your house of flat. If your property falls into any of these categories, you will need planning permission:

  • your property is a flat, or within a tenement or a four-in-a-block
  • your house is within a conservation area
  • any part of the extension will be in front of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation, where that elevation faces onto a road
  • the distance between the extension and any boundary will be less than 10 metres
  • the height of the extension be higher than the existing house (not including the chimney
  • the area of ground covered by the existing house and the extension will be more than twice the area of ground covered by the original house
  • the area of ground covered by the extension and any other extensions or outbuildings or garages within the front or rear (including side) curtilage of the house (excluding the original house and any hard surface or decking) exceed 50% of the area of the front or rear curtilage respectively (again excluding the ground area of the original house and any hard surface or decking)
  • the area covered by any existing extensions and the proposed extension, is greater than the footprint of the original house

If your property doesn't come into any of the above categories then you do not need to apply for planning permission.

If you need planning permission or listed building consent you can do this on the ePlanning Scotland website. If you live in a council house you should contact your local housing office. As well as planning permission you may need a building warrant.

See also: Definitions - curtilage, principal elevation and road.