Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Do I need planning permission?

Minor alterations

These include:

  • installation of a satellite dish
  • installation of solar panels 
  • erection of a flue
  • replacement windows
  • replacing your roofing material

Different rules apply if you live in a listed building or conservation area.

Does it need planning permission?

If you do not live in a listed building or a conservation area, you don't need planning permission for these types of development if it does not project more than one metre out from any external wall, roof slope, roof ridge or chimney of the house or flat.

Imagine that your house or flat has a one metre bubble around it. You can carry out any development within that bubble without needing planning permission.

If you are changing your roofing material, then the materials used for any new roof covering must look similar in appearance to the existing roof covering as is reasonably possible.

The only exceptions to this are as follows: 

  • the development must not increase the size of your house or flat
  • if you live in a flat, you cannot change the size or shape of any window or door (but you can if you live in a house)
  • it cannot be a wind turbine
  • it cannot be a balcony, roof terrace or raised platform
  • it cannot be a flue forming part of biomass heating system or a flue forming part of combined heat and power system
  • it cannot be an air source heat pump 
  • it cannot be close circuit television 

There are different permitted development rights relating to some of these types of development and they may be allowed under those. Please check with our Planning and Building Standards office first.

Listed buildings

If you live in a listed building, listed building consent will always be needed to carry out any of the alterations covered by this advice.

Conservation areas

If you live in a conservation area, you do not have any permitted development rights to carry out these types of alterations and you must always apply for planning permission.