Examples of self-directed support
Self-directed Support (SDS) doesn't always rely on traditional, paid services. Finding out what is out there in the community is a key part of the approach.
Some examples of self-directed support are:
- employing a personal assistant (PA)*
- enabling you to identify and procure a care agency that meets your assessed needs
- funding for respite or short breaks
- accessing community supports identified in your support plan
* There are a number of legal obligations that come with the employment of a PA including; PAYE, National Insurance, Pensions and other employment related legislation. For more information please contact Take Control South Lanarkshire or read the factsheet produced by the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group.