BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image


Intercountry adoption: after agency approval

Your social worker will work with you to prepare all the documentation that will be needed before your application goes to your chosen country.

Following your approval through South Lanarkshire Adoption Panel, your papers will initially go to the Scottish Government Intercountry Adoption Casework Team.  You will then be issued with a certificate of eligibility and your papers sent to the country or to the intermediate agency dealing with your application.

For some countries you will be using an agency often based in the US and offering a service for the UK.  You will want to be sure that the agency you use is a reputable one.  Your social worker will have discussed this with you and you will have been able to gather experience from other adopters.

When your child is identified and information is sent to you, this will normally come through the Scottish Government.  If it comes directly to you then it is important that you contact your social worker to discuss this.

You will want to discuss the information with your GP and our medical adviser is happy to help.