Attending preparatory groups
Prior to making a formal application, you will be invited to attend preparatory groups. Preparatory groups will help you gain knowledge about the range of backgrounds children have experienced and help you consider the potential impacts this may have on the childs current and future development.
Preparatory groups are held throughout the year and are facilitated by social workers from the family placement team. There is also usually input from a medical adviser and an adoptive carer.
Following your attendance at preparatory groups, you can let us know if you would like to make an application to be assessed as an adoptive carer. You will have the opportunity to meet with a social worker from the family placement team again, to discuss any issues that have arisen form the preparatory groups before making a decision to proceed any further.
- Criteria for adopting children
- Attending preparatory groups
- What the assessment involves
- Attending the adoption panel
- Financial support
- Adoption support
- Foster to adopt - A new approach to provide permanence to young children
- Adoption - could you be my future?
- Intercountry adoption
- Intercountry adoption: after agency approval
- Intercountry adoption: adoption support
- Working in partnership with you
- How to apply for adoption information