Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

A guide for Council tenants

Tenants' rights and responsibilities - managing your home

As a council tenant, you will sign a Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement with us as your landlord. This is a legal document and is legally binding, meaning you are agreeing to keep to the rules of your tenancy agreement and should:

  • pay rent and charges on time
  • be a good neighbour
  • allow access for a gas safety check every year

You can now check your Rent account balance online using myaccount.

Cleaning shared areas and closes

If you live in a block of flats with shared areas it is important that all residents take turns to clean all areas.  If you are frail, elderly or disabled you may find it difficult to carry out your cleaning responsibilities. If this is the case you should contact your local housing office.

Shared areas along with stairs and passages should be kept clear of any potential risks to health and safety. Any issues should be highlighted to your local housing office.


See our Report a repair page for details on how to report non-emergency and emergency repairs.

Gas safety checks

Every year we will send you a letter with a date for your annual gas safety inspection. We inspect any installations in the house provided by us. You will be given a copy of the inspection report.  If repairs or replacement of any of the installations is required, we will do so within a reasonable time. You must allow this inspection to take place. If you require any further information, or to re-schedule the date of your inspection, please contact us using the contact details shown in your letter or on this page.


Decorating your council house is your responsibility. You can do home improvements on your council property but you must get permission from your housing office before starting.

Garden Maintenance

Tenants are responsible for maintaining their gardens to a satisfactory standard. Your garden should be kept clean, tidy and not overgrown.

Rubbish which builds up in gardens may be a health and safety risk. It's important to let us know where there is a build-up of household rubbish or furniture which could attract vermin or if there are items such as syringes or needles.

Household pets

Council tenants can keep one domestic pet without permission. To keep more you should apply in writing to your local housing office. If you live in a flat with four or more storeys or in sheltered housing you'll only be allowed to keep a pet under exceptional circumstances.

For further information or advice in relation to your tenancy please contact your local housing office who will be able to help you.

You can also see our pages on the Council house letting standard for inside and outside your home.

Web rent

Local housing office

Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 4.45pm, Friday 8.45am to 4.15pm. First Wednesday of every month 11am to 4.45pm

Phone: 0303 123 1012

Housing repairs

Opening hours: Monday - Thursday, 8.45am - 4.45pm Friday, 8.45am - 4.15pm

Phone: 0303 123 1010

Emergency repairs out-of-hours

Evenings and weekends

Phone: 0800 242024

Housing Gas section

Phone: 0303 123 1004
Email: Housing Gas section