Education Resources Psychological Service

Who can contact the service for advice and consultation?

Parents and carers may request a consultation for their child with an educational psychologist. 

There are also some circumstances in which a young person can seek help directly without parental consent. It is lawful for a psychologist to see a young person under 16 without parental consent, provided the young person is considered to be of 'sufficient understanding', but we would usually encourage the young person to inform their parents and carers. 

With early years children, contact is usually from a medical doctor, public health nurse, nursery teacher, or a speech and language therapist.

With primary aged children, contact is usually from the head teacher, but contact is also made by the health service.

With secondary aged young people, contact is usually via the Joint Assessment Team (JAT) which includes the school, Social Work and, if appropriate, health professionals.