Council Tax - exemptions and discounts (occupied properties)

Living alone - single occupancy

If you live alone or are the only adult living in the property you can reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%.

If you wish to apply for a discount because of a change to your household due to someone going into hospital, prison or to provide or receive care, please complete the relevant form on this page.

If someone who normally lives in the property is working away from home, depending on the circumstances, we may still class the property as their main residence so you won't necessarily be entitled to a reduction in your Council tax. You can still apply and we will notify you of our decision.

Council Tax and Benefits Call Centre


Benefits and Revenue Services
PO Box 3591,
G73 9ED
Phone: 0303 123 1011
Email: Council Tax and Benefits Call Centre