Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Council Tax - exemptions and discounts (occupied properties)

Physical or mental disability

Severe mental impairment

If you or an adult in your household suffers from a severe and permanent impairment to intelligence and social function (for example Alzheimer’s disease) you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%, 50% or 100% depending on how many other adults live in the property.

We will need to contact the GP of the person suffering from the impairment for confirmation of their condition. They also need to be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (care component at middle or highest rate)
  • Personal Independence Payment – Daily Living component at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Adult Disability Payment - Daily Living component at standard or enhanced rate
  • Child Disability Payment - Care component at the middle or high rate
  • An increased rate of disablement pension for constant attendance
  • Working Tax Credit, which includes a disability element or a severe disability element
  • Unemployability supplement
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, or an unemployability allowance, under the Personal Injuries (Civilians) Scheme 1983, or the Naval, Military and Air Forces etc. (Disablement and Death) Service Pensions Order 2006
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • Armed Forces Independence Payments (AFIP)
  • Universal Credit, which includes the limited capability for work element for the person who is SMI
  • Universal Credit, which includes the limited capability for work and work-related activity element for the person who is SMI, or would do but for the fact that they are part of a couple who both have limited capability for work and work-related activity, and the element has been awarded to their partner (as only one can be applied)

If the applicant was in receipt of one of the above benefits but is no longer entitled because they have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, they may still meet the qualifying benefit criteria.

If you want to request an application form for severe mental impairment (SMI), please complete our online referral form.

Disabled relief

If you or someone in your household suffers from a physical or mental disability, you may qualify for disabled persons relief. This could be an adult or a child and the disability must be substantial and permanent, whether by illness, congenital deformity or otherwise. This means that someone with a physical disability, learning difficulties or mental health issues may qualify. This must be the person’s main or only home. To qualify, one of the following must apply:

  • the property has an additional bathroom or kitchen which is necessary for meeting the needs of the person with the disability or
  • a room (but not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) is predominantly used by the person with a disability for providing therapy or otherwise or
  • a wheelchair is used in the property

Please note: a lavatory (a toilet or WC) is not classed as a bathroom so would not meet the qualifying criteria.

The features above must be essential or of major importance to the disabled resident because of their disability and be extra or additional to what a person would ordinarily need, whether disabled or not.

You will be required to provide evidence with your application. This must be from the disabled persons GP or medical professional and must confirm the following:

  • Name of patient
  • Details of the medical condition or disability
  • Date that the patient's condition or disability has existed from 

Please use the link below to request an application.

If your application is successful, your Council Tax will reduce to that of the next lowest Council Tax band. For example, if your property is currently a Band D, your charge will reduce to the equivalent of a Band C.