Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Council Tax - exemptions and discounts (occupied properties)

Other categories

Armed Forces personnel

If you or someone in your household is a member of the armed forces and has had to leave to fulfil their duties you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25% or 50% depending on how many other adults live in the property.

Please contact us to apply for this discount.

Members of a religious community

If the property is occupied by a religious community and everyone in the household is a member, you may be able to reduce the Council Tax bill by 50%. The principal objectives of the community must consist of prayer, contemplation, education, and the relief of suffering.  Each member must be dependent on the community to provide their material needs and not have any income or capital of their own (other than a pension from previous employment).

The application should be completed by the head of the community or a representative. In order to complete the application you will need to have a signed letter from the head of the community which confirms the following:

  • The name of the community
  • No-one in the community has any income or capital (apart from pension from any previous employment)
  • All members are dependent on the community for their material needs
  • The principal objectives of the community

You can upload a scan, PDF or photo of this with your application. Please make sure all the details can be seen clearly before uploading.

Occupied on a trial basis and owned by registered social landlord

If the property is owned by a registered social landlord (for example, a housing association) but occupied by elderly or disabled tenants on a trial basis who are likely, in the future, to have their sole or main residence in another dwelling provided by the association, you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by 100%.

Help with uploading evidence

You will be asked to upload evidence on the application form. We can accept jpegs and pdf files but we advise pdfs as the file size is smaller.

Please don’t take photos of your PC screen or phone screen as these can be blurry. If you need to do this you should use the screenshot/print screen function on your PC or phone.

When you take a photo of a document such as a bank statement sometimes the file sizes are too big, especially if you have to upload a lot of different images to your form. This can cause the form to fail and we advise converting jpegs to pdfs. You can do this in the following ways.

On an Android phone

  • select image you want
  • from the menu select print image
  • select Save as pdf
  • choose where to save it
  • save

On an iPhone

  • select the image you want
  • tap the sharing button and select Print
  • at the Printer options screen, use a spreading gesture with your fingers on the image preview to show Save as pdf
  • select Share the converted photo as PDF and choose where to save it  

On a PC

  • right click on the icon of the image
  • select Convert to Adobe pdf
  • click on the Save file icon in the top left hand corner
  • select where to save it
  • name it
  • save

Council Tax Call Centre


Benefits and Revenue Services
PO Box 3591
G73 9ED
Phone: 0303 123 1011