Council Tax - exemptions and discounts (occupied properties)
Council Tax Reduction
If you are on a low income you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by applying for Council Tax Reduction. The amount of the reduction will depend on your earnings, the benefits or tax credits you receive and the circumstances of the other members of your household. Council Tax Reduction does not reduce your water and waste water charges.
For more information see Council Tax Reduction.
Second Adult Reduction
If you do not qualify for a single person’s discount because your children or other adults are living with you, you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by 7.5%, 15% or 25% if those other members of the household are on low income or certain benefits. Your own income will not be included. Second Adult Reduction does not reduce your water and waste water charges.
- Occupied properties
- In care, providing care and care leavers
- Living alone - single occupancy
- Low income
- Physical or mental disability
- In prison or other forms of detention
- Training schemes and apprenticeships
- Under 18 or over 18 but someone still receives Child Benefit
- Entering the UK from Ukraine or under a resettlement or relocation scheme
- Other categories