Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Changing your tenancy

Sublet your home

If you are going to be away from your home for a long time, for example, to work abroad or serve a prison sentence, you can rent out (sublet) your home to another person. You need our written permission before you can do this. Any other joint tenant, partner or person living with you must also give their written agreement. We will contact them to arrange this.

If you want to sublet the house, the house must have been your only or principle home for at least 12 months immediately before the date of your written request to sublet the house to someone else.

As the tenant you will still be responsible for keeping your home in good condition and for paying the rent. You will also be responsible for the conduct/behaviour of this person, their family and any visitors. You should think carefully about what this means and what you need to do to manage your tenancy while you are away from your home.

If we give permission to sub let, it will be for a fixed period of time, normally for 6 months and a maximum of 12 months. It is important you have read the above information if you are thinking about any change to your tenancy. You should read A guide for Council tenants page. Completing this application form does not mean we will give permission but we will only refuse if there is good reason to do so. We will let you know within 28 days. 

Both you and the person who wants to rent your home should complete the forms below. We are unable to process your enquiry until both forms are received.

The tenant should complete this form.

The person who wants to rent your home should complete this form.

Web rent