BSL Launch Recite Me assistive technology myaccountMyAccount login image

Changing your tenancy

Apply for a mutual exchange

All Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement tenants (council and housing association) can exchange houses with the Landlords' written consent.

You can exchange with tenants from:

  • South Lanarkshire Council
  • other UK Councils
  • other UK housing associations or registered social landlords

We will assess your application and provide a written decision within 28 days, or ask for more information or time. Certain checks will be carried out. In exceptional circumstances only we may refuse an exchange, such as where the exchange would cause overcrowding. Any other joint tenant, partner or person living with you must also given their written agreement. We will contact them to arrange this.

If we refuse you, we will explain why and tell you how to appeal our decision. 

If your exchange is approved, you should agree a moving date with the other person. You will sign a new tenancy agreement, starting on the agreed moving date.

House exchange

If you are interested in exchanging your home, you can register your details on House Exchange. This website holds details of tenants across the country who want to exchange their home.

Before a mutual exchange can go ahead, you must get our written permission.  If the exchange is with a tenant of another landlord, you will also need the other landlord’s permission.   

Completing this application form does not mean permission will be granted, although we will only refuse permission if there is good reason to do so. We will respond to your request in writing within 28 days. 

If you are thinking about any change to your tenancy, it is important you have read the above information along with the information on our  A guide for Council tenants page.

The tenant you wish to exchange with must also complete this online form. If their tenancy is not with South Lanarkshire Council, both tenants must also complete an application with the relevant landlord. We will contact the landlord for a reference as part of the application process. 

Web rent