Click to listen

You've bin tagged

If you get a yellow tag on your blue bin handle it means that there were items in there that shouldn't be. More information

Council Tax exemptions and discounts - occupied properties


If you or someone in your household is a full-time student at college or university, you may be able to reduce your Council Tax Bill depending on how many other adults live in the property.

We can offer the following for full time students:

  • 25% discount is available if all but one of the adults living at the property are students
  • 50% discount may be available if everyone else in the property falls under a discount category other than a full time student
  • 100% exemption will apply if the property is occupied solely by student

A person is considered to be a full time student if they are:

  • under 20, studying for more than 3 months and for at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to 'A' level or Higher Scottish Certificate of Education or equivalent or
  • undertaking a prescribed course of education at a further education establishment lasting for at least 24 weeks within each academic year and involving at least 21 hours of study per week on average during term time or
  • registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges and working as a foreign language assistant at a school or other educational establishment in Great Britain

You must contact us as soon as the course finishes so that any discount or exemption can be stopped. You will then be notified of any changes to your Council Tax charge and payments.

If you are a student studying away from home and you own a property that is unoccupied, you may be able to reduce your Council Tax. For more information see the Owned by a full time student page.

How to apply

We will need proof of the student status as part of the application. Students at the University of the West of Scotland do not need to give us this proof as it will be confirmed automatically. If the student does not attend UWS, we will need the student certificate issued by the college or university. This can be uploaded with your application and should include:

  • Student name
  • DOB
  • Certificate/Qualification
  • Course name
  • Course start and end dates
  • Which year of the course the student is in
  • Length of course within academic year (months)
  • Average hours of study per week
  • Confirmation course is full time

If you have not been given a student certificate, please complete our student certificate.  This should be issued to your college or university to complete and you should upload it as evidence when making your application.

Please have your UWS course details or completed student certificate or University/college letter to hand before you begin.

A student card is not acceptable evidence. Only an official letter/student certificate from the University or College as detailed above, or our student certificate completed by your University or College will be accepted.

Spouses and children of foreign students

If you are a non-British, full-time student at a UK college or university and your spouse or child live with you but are not a British Citizen and prevented from working or claiming benefits, you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%, 50% or 100% depending on how many other adults live in the property.

School and college leavers

If you or someone in your household is under the age of 20 and has left school or college after 1 May, you may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%, 50% or 100% depending on how many other adults live in the property.

Please contact us using the contact details shown to apply under this category.

Council Tax and Benefits Call Centre


Benefits and Revenue Services
PO Box 3591,
G73 9ED
Phone: 0303 123 1011
Email: Council Tax and Benefits Call Centre