Theme day menus introduce healthy and nutritionally balanced food that some children may not have tasted before.
Menus are designed to be fun and encourage those who would normally go home for lunch or bring in a packed lunch to try school lunches instead.
Lunchtime is not just for filling an empty stomach, it's a time to chat and develop social skills. By encouraging as many pupils as possible to take part in theme days more children can enjoy a healthy meal with their friends.
Primary theme days
Fair Trade Fortnight Monday 25 February – Sunday 10 March 2019
The focus for this year is Cocoa. The price for Cocoa has dropped and this makes it more difficult for farmers to make a decent living. Fairtrade ensures that these farmers receive a fair price for their crop. We will be supporting the above initiative in our Primary Schools by offering the pupils attending lunch on Wednesday 27 February and Wednesday 6 March a Fairtrade cocoa crispy cake.
International Schools Meals Day - Thursday 14 March 2019
International School Meals Day is a unique campaign with the aim of raising awareness of good nutrition for all children regardless of their circumstances, some of its main aims are detailed below:
- Raise awareness of the importance of the nutritional quality of school meal programs worldwide
- Emphasise the connection between healthy eating, education and better learning
- Connect children around the world to foster healthy eating habits and promote well-being in schools
The theme for this year is that each school will get to pick their favourite school lunch from the current Winter menu which will be served on Thursday 14 March – see your own school for their favourite choice.
Additional theme days
- Additional theme days are organised in June and October by the individual schools based on the curriculum.
Secondary theme days
- A theme day will be organised by individual high schools based on the curriculum
- Christmas - A traditional Christmas lunch will be available in December
- Fairtrade - We will be promoting Fairtrade products during Fairtrade Fortnight (25 February - 10 March 2019)
- Occasionally other promotions are run throughout the year to highlight and trial new products which can be used in future menus