What is homelessness?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice
We will be providing a restricted range of services with a focus on providing essential services.
If your enquiry is urgent, for example you have no accommodation now or in the near future, please contact our emergency phone number 0800 242024 and you will be able to speak to a Housing Officer who will assist you, otherwise we will respond to your email as soon as possible.
You can be homeless if:
- you do not have anywhere to stay
- you are living temporarily with friends or family
- your house is not safe to live in
- your landlord has stopped you getting into your house
- your house is damp
- your house is overcrowded and a danger to your health
- you are at risk of abuse or threats of abuse
- you are living in a hostel or bed and breakfast
- it is not reasonable for you to continue living in your accommodation
You can be threatened with homeless if you:
- have been asked to leave where you are living
- have missed some rent or mortgage payments
- are having problems with neighbours or people in your local area
- are having problems with your landlord
You are intentionally homeless if:
- you deliberately did or didn’t do something that caused you to leave where you were living; and
- it was still available for you to live in; and
- it was reasonable for you to keep living there; and
- you knew that by acting this way you could end up homeless
You cannot be intentionally homeless if it was not reasonable for you to continue living in your home. For example, if you were at risk from abuse, or you could no longer afford to live there.
If, through the homeless application process, it is determined that you have become homeless intentionally, we will still give you advice and assistance to find somewhere to live. You will also be offered temporary accommodation if you need it for a reasonable period of time, until we have given you all the help and advice you need.
Homelessness services (out of hours)Phone: 0800 24 20 24
Local housing office
Our offices are closed until further notice. Phone lines are open 9am-12pmPhone: 0303 123 1012